Picture of the Bell Savage Inn-Yard
The Salisbury Court Theatre
By 1629 the Whitefriars had been replaced by the Salisbury Court Theatre. The Salisbury Court Theatre was a private theatre built by Richard Gunnell and William Blagrove at a cost of £1000 in 1629. Theater was successful but it fell into decline when the Puritans came into power in England.
The Puritans moved the country to a stricter code of conduct which deplored any kind of finery or flippant behaviours. In 1648 all playhouses were ordered to be pulled down. All players were to be seized and whipped, and anyone caught attending a play to be fined five shillings.