Picture of the Bear Ring Amphi-theatre at Bankside
The Bear Garden - Elizabethan Amphitheatre
The Beare Garden Amphi-theatre served as both a theatre and an arena for bear-baiting and bull-baiting. It was located on the Bankside in Southwark in what had been the Bear Garden.
Philip Henslowe and Jacob Meade demolished the original Garden and built the Hope theatre on the same site (but slightly further South) in 1613-14.
A single red brick house set among warehouses and offices down a narrow side street marks the site of the last bearbaiting ring on Bankside.