Picture of the Bell Savage Inn-Yard
The Whitefriars Theatre was located in the priory of the Whitefriars monastery on the north side of the River Thames (named after the colour of the monk's habits). Michael Drayton and Thomas Woodford converted the refectory hall to a private theatre in 1606 following the success of
Both of these early private
playhouses were roofed, fully seated
and used artificial light. London's
private playhouses were often used
by companies of child actors.
Children of the King's Revels
occupied it from 1608 to 1609,
succeeded by Children of the Queen's
Revels from 1609 to 1613.