Picture of the Bear Ring Amphitheatre at Bankside
Theatre - Elizabethan Amphi-theatre
James Burbage built the 'Theatre' in 1576 on land leased from Giles Allen a staunch puritan, Giles was not in favour of any theatrical activities on the site but this did not stop James Burbage
from building his 'Theatre' on the
When, in 1597, the lease finally expired Giles refused to renew the lease. A clause in their former lease allowed them to dismantle the building. As their ability to use Blackfriars as a playhouse had been delayed due to protests by local residents, Richard and Cuthbert Burbage with their troupe and carpenters went to Theatre at night and demolished Theatre.