Picture of the Bear Ring Amphitheatre at Bankside
The HopeTheatre - Elizabethan Amphitheatre
The Amphi-theatre was located on the Bankside in Southwark on the site of the Bear Garden. Philip Henslowe and Jacob Meade cleared the site and built Theater in 1613-14
The contract for the Hope, dated Aug. 29, 1613 survived (as did the contract for the Fortune Theatre) It describes the structure and indicates that, except for the movable stage which was a necessary feature because of its dual purpose as a bear-baiting ring, it was designed after the Swan Theatre.